Charlesworth Mill is situated at this site on the 1st edition 25" OS map. (1)
By the 2nd edition OS map the mill is marked as disused. (2)
Charlesworth Mill was one of the first mills to be built by Samuel Booth in 1825, when it was advertised as being 'a new erected stone building, four storeys, 150 feet long and 37 feet wide, with an added attraction of coalpits within half a mile'. The first occupier was John Wood, the owner of the Howardtown Mills complex, Glossop. He ran the mill for five years when in 1831, he decided that the mill was not a profitable venture. He closed it down to give his attention to his mire prosperous businesses in Glossop. For three years it lay empty, after which time several tenants made unsuccessful attempts to make it into a paying concern. Eventually the mill was pulled down in 1913 and now no part of the building exists except for a stump of a chimney that is just visible from the roadside. (3)
Part of this site remains vacant on modern OS mapping. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Fullarton, J (Charlesworth Heritage Group). 1985. Just a Glimpse of Charlesworth. p 12.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 18/02/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0068 9300 (94m by 86m)
CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 23 2012 11:20AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.