Monument record MDR12173 - Oakerthorpe Colliery (site of), Oakerthorpe, South Wingfield
Type and Period (2)
- COLLIERY (Victorian - 1840 AD? to 1880 AD?)
- MINE SHAFT (Victorian - 1840 AD? to 1880 AD?)
- None recorded
Oakerthorpe Colliery is named on the 1st ed. OS map of c. 1880. Several shafts and a crane are named, and railway lines connect the colliery with a tramway to the south-east. (1) The site is no longer named on the 2nd edition, and only a couple of buildings are shown, so the colliery had clearly gone out of use by that time. (2) Oakerthorpe Colliery at South Wingfield was owned by George Pearson & Co in 1873, so was presumably working by that date. It was still owned by the same firm in 1881. (2)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20866 *Internet Web Site: Riden, P. 2007. Derbyshire Collieries list, 1854-1881. A to Z listing.. www.EnglandsPastForEveryone.org.uk.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3871 5554 (224m by 129m)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH WINGFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 22 2017 3:49PM