A water tower that is now  a café and display area. It was built in 1892, and extended and converted c.1920. It is a four storey octagonal water tower with a five storey brick tower to the southwest side, both of which are linked by glazed timber screens. It was built for the Miller-Mundys of Shipley Hall (see SMR 25309). It is built of rock-faced stone with ashlar quoins, dressings, copings to a plinth and a moulded band near the eaves level. It also has a moulded cornice. The addition is in red brick, with brown brick sawtooth bands between storeys and a conical wooden roof. The water tower has a stone plaque with the crest of the Miller-Mundys and 'EMM 1892' carved in relief. The north elevation has a raised doorcase. The southwest elevation has new openings through to the brick tower, which has a concrete spiral staircase and narrow windows to the north side. (1)
The water tower held a snack bar, but it was placed on the open market in April 1991, and was subsequently converted into a dwelling. (2)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1158422, UID Ref: 78823.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. pp 192-5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4366 4422 (9m by 11m)
SHIPLEY, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 27 2014 1:50PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.