Building record MDR12181 - Pump Room, The Crescent, Buxton

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

The Pump Room stands opposite the Crescent and backing on to the Slopes. It was given by the 8th Duke of Devonshire and was opened in 1894. It takes the form of a five-bay room flanked by single bay pedimented entrances in rusticated stonework. The stained glass windows are under semi-circular arches. The well and its surrounds are decorated in marble tiles. In 1988 it was in use as a micrarium. (1) A new Pump Room was constructed in 1893/94, replacing the earlier Pump Room at the Natural Baths, which had become overcrowded. It was built to the designs of the Duke of Devonshire's architect, Henry Currey, and originally had open arcading. This was enclosed in 1911-12 and the pepper pot domes at either end of the building were removed in c. 1937. Water was pumped to the dispensing pool in the Pump Room from the springs across the road at the Natural Baths. The pool still exists but is no longer accessible to the public. A card depicting facilities in the early 1900s shows a separate room within the building for the dispensing of chalybeate or iron water. (2) On June 13 1894 a new Pump Room facing the Crescent was opened, to provide enlarged facilities where people could drink the thermal water and meet socially. Suggestions that a new one was needed had come as early as 1881 and at least four sites were being considered by c. 1887. The Duke of Devonshire was initially opposed to siting a building in front of the Crescent, fearing it would affect the view and disturb the water source; however, this was resolved by 1891. The new Pump Room was the last public building to be designed by Henry Currey (principal architect to the Devonshire Estate) and was financed by the Duke. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. Un-numbered, with photo.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Langham, M. 2001. Buxton. A People's History.. pp 103-4.
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Langham, M & Wells, C. 1993. Buxton. A Pictorial History.. Nos 111-115, illust..

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 0581 7352 (24m by 23m)
Civil Parish BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR3930

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Feb 27 2019 4:50PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.