A house was built at Osmaston in the late 1630s by Nicholas Wilmot, although it is possible that there had been an earlier house there. The 1630s house faced east and was a three-bay, three-gabled edifice of three storeys, built of fine ashlar. Its orientation and compact size could possibly be explained by the existence of an earlier part, retained as a wing, a fact reinforced by a Hearth Tax assessment of 20 hearths in 1662. Nicholas Wilmot's son, Robert Wilmot, MP, began building a new house in 1696, a tall, rectangular building of nine by three bays, orientated north-south, and of brick with stone dressings. To either side were single storey pavilions. A portion of the previous house was retained as a service wing. Further improvements were made in the 18th century and the park was landscaped by William Emes, starting in around 1789. However, the house was let in 1814 and in 1888 it and part of the park were sold to the Midland Railway. The house was used as offices, and later partly as a clubhouse for the golf course that occupied all that remained of the former park. Finally in 1938 it was demolished, its site later forming part of an industrial estate. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. pp 168-170.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3671 3381 (146m by 95m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 8 2023 10:50AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.