Right opposite the site of Charlesworth Mill there are buildings marked on the 1st edition OS map, which are likely to have been buildings associated with the former Fitzalan Mill, as described below. (1)
These same buildings are marked on the 2nd edition OS map as a smithy, which also fits with the description below. (2)
Right opposite the Charlesworth Mill was the Fitzalan Mill or better known as the Crinoline Mill. It was built by Robert Booth, but the mill was never a success. He drew £1,000 from the firm Booth Brothers, to build the mill that crippled them. In 1865 the mill and its equipment were sold by auction, including the sale of twenty-five sewing machines. Later it became a blacksmith's forge and wheelwright shop worked by Ralph and Samuel Wood. Now the site is used for lock-up garages . (3)
Looking at modern mapping, it does not appear likely that any buildings associated with the former mill still exist. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Fullarton, J (Charlesworth Heritage Group). 1985. Just a Glimpse of Charlesworth. p 12-3.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 25/02/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0064 9304 (52m by 52m)
CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 26 2010 11:01AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.