Monument record MDR12194 - Besthill Mill (site of), Long Lane, Broadbottom, Charlesworth
Type and Period (3)
- COTTON MILL (Georgian - 1784 AD to 1784 AD)
- WEIR (Georgian to Victorian - 1784 AD to 1882 AD)
- SLUICE (Georgian to Victorian - 1784 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
Best Hill Mill was built in 1784 by John Marsland of the Little Hague, Broadbottom. In 1837 Samuel Marsland became the occupier and by 1842 he had 90 women and 30 men working for him for an average of 10s 8d. Samuel Marsland died in 1865, leaving his sons to continue the family business, during the difficult times of the cotton famine of the 1860s. During this time, a dispute arose between the Marslands and Lord Howard, over the right of road to the mill. It was during this dispute that the lease expired in 1884, and because of ill-feeling between the two parties, it was not renewed. When the mill closed it was a severe loss to the community on either side of the river, as this was the principal mill in Charlesworth. Horne Brothers, who lived at the Hague, Broadbottom, bought the mill for the manufacture of tape, which varied from plain to decorative ribbons. One of their main contracts was with a lingerie manufacturing firm as far away as Ashbourne. The tape was transported by a local carting firm from Broadbottom. Best Hill Mill was finally closed down in the 1930s. (1) On modern aerial photographs the area now appears derelict, with the majority of buildings having been demolished; although there may still be some remains as the area has not been redeveloped. (2) A weir and sluice still appear to exist on modern mapping. (3) A very old masonry cotton spinning mill built in 1793, with buildings occupying half an acre. The owner was Kelsall & Marsland. The mill had two waterwheels, one 12 feet in diameter and 12 feet wide, and the other 15 feet in diameter and 12 feet wide. Both wheels were powered by water supplied via two weirs constructed across the river. The mill passed on to Samuel Marsland in 1828-1855, then became John Marsland & Brother in 1878. The mill began manufacturing tape about 1919, when Patent Loom & Tape Company Ltd became proprietors. The reputed owner in 1949 was Mr S. Turner of Glossop, possessing thirty-six Braiding Machines, manufacturing braided cordage. Between 1952 and 1953, its name was changed to Besthill Braids & Cortege Ltd. (4)
- --- SDR21119 Bibliographic reference: Quayle, T. 2006. The Cotton Industry in Longdendale and Glossopdale. p 118-9, illus p 120-1.
- <1> SDR20877 Bibliographic reference: Fullarton, J (Charlesworth Heritage Group). 1985. Just a Glimpse of Charlesworth. pp 12, 15.
- <2> SDR20759 *Internet Web Site: Bing Maps. www.bing.com/maps. Website viewed 25/02/2010.
- <3> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 25/02/2010.
|Grid reference||Centred SJ 9959 9386 (80m by 147m)|
|Civil Parish||CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 11 2022 3:32PM