Monument record MDR12201 - Milepost, Shardlow Road, Alvaston
Type and Period (1)
- MILEPOST (Victorian - 1837 AD to 1901 AD)
- None recorded
A cast iron milepost is situated on Shardlow Road near the junction with Nunsfield Drive. A photograph shows it to have a drum-shaped head, painted white, with lettering picked out in black as follows: 'LONDON / 123 / MILES' and 'DERBY / 3 / MILES'. (1) The 1st ed. 25" OS map shows the milepost as 'Derby 3, London 123'. However, the 2nd edition shows it as 'Derby 3, Shardlow 4', suggesting a third distance is recorded on the back of the milepost. (2, 3) Victorian triangular cast iron milepost near junction with Nunsfield Drive. (5)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 14.37, with photo.
- <2> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/DER/04.
- <5> SDR21254 Bibliographic reference: Derby City Council. 2010. City of Derby Local List. p 63.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3870 3313 (2m by 3m)|
|Civil Parish||DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 3:13PM