Monument record MDR12212 - Independent Chapel (site of), Chapel Brow, Tintwistle
Type and Period (1)
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Stuart to Georgian - 1688 AD to 1811 AD)
- None recorded
An Independent Chapel appears at this site on the 1st edition 25" OS map. It is attached to a terrace of houses called 'Long Row'. There is also an associated graveyard. (1) The chapel is still present on the 1970s aerial photographs, but the terrace of houses has since been demolished. (2) The chapel has been demolished by the 1999-2002 aerial photographs, but the site remains undeveloped within the grave yard. (3) In 1688, Congregationalists in Tintwistle met in an old barn where the chapel later stood on Chapel Brow. It was described as a 'homely sanctuary with it's white washed interior, bare rafters and rush bottom floor'. A new chapel was built in 1763, which in turn was rebuilt in 1811 at a cost of £1,500. In 1837 the building was enlarged to provide 200 seats, and was re-roofed and re-seated again in 1889-90. The graveyard was extended in 1900. There was a bell tower near the chapel that was an open tower with a single bell. The west wall had a stained glass window of the Good Shepherd, which was erected to the memory of William Henry Lowe, a former benefactor of the chapel. The south wall had a further two stained glass windows. The chapel celebrated its 250th anniversary in 1938, but has since been demolished, and services now take place in the former Sunday School on Old Road . (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR1229 Aerial Photograph: 1971. Fairey Surveys 1:12000.
- <3> SDR19075 Aerial Photograph: UK Perspectives. 1999-2002. Aerial photographic coverage of Derbyshire.
- <4> SDR20897 *Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 24/10/2009.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0239 9734 (39m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||TINTWISTLE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2017 4:50PM