Monument record MDR12213 - St Philip and St James's Church, Atlow Lane, Atlow
Type and Period (1)
- PARISH CHURCH (Victorian - 1874 AD to 1874 AD)
In 1874 a new church was built at Atlow, replacing an earlier chapel that had stood immediately below it [see SMR 703]. While the old chapel was dedicated to All Saints, the new church was dedicated to St Philip and St James. Cox notes "…it seems to us an ill-judged thing thus to alter the ancient sequence". (1) The present church at Atlow was erected in 1874 on a site a little above the old one, which was then removed. It is a neat edifice of stone in the Early English style, and comprises chancel, nave, south porch and bell turret containing one bell, dated 1593. The entire cost, exclusive of the site, which was given by H C Okeover Esq, was about £1000. The old chapel was named All Saints, but the present church, having been formally opened and consecrated by Bishop Selwyn on the 1st of May, the festival of SS Philip and James, it was dedicated to those saints. (2) The present church is entirely 19th century. Its position, in a narrow enclosure, with a road immediately to the east and a steep slope on the west, suggests it occupies the exact site of the earlier chapel. (3) This is contradicted by the Tithe Map, which appears to show the chapel further to the west, with nothing occupying the site of the present church. (4) St Philip and St James, of 1874, is a small stone Early English-style church by H I Stevens, comprising nave, chancel and bell-turret. The interior is enlivened with brick and coloured tiles. The design must have been made before Stevens' death in 1873. (5)
- <1> SDR17281 Bibliographic reference: Cox, J C. 1877. Notes on the Churches of Derbyshire, Vol. II. pp 437-438.
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 300.
- <3> SDR6338 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 30-AUG-66.
- <4> SDR15329 Map: 1839. Atlow Tithe Map.
- <5> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. pp 69-70.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2305 4868 (18m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||ATLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 25 2015 3:12PM