This church was built in 1837. It is built of coursed gritstone and gritstone ashlar, and has slate roofs. It has a nave with a projecting tower and flanking porches at the west end, and a lower chancel with a north vestry. The chancel and vestry are a slightly later addition. There are tall lancet windows with Y tracery, five to the north and south side of the nave that are divided by buttresses with two set-offs. The west tower has angle buttresses, a Y-traceried west window with one transom, tall single lancet bell openings and four pinnacles. The east window also has a transom. The west porches fill the angles between the tower and nave. They have doorways to each face with four-centred arches and labels, and Gothic panelled doors within. The interior is still in the tradition of the Georgian 'preaching box'. A raked gallery on three sides is supported on cast iron columns. The gallery fronts have gothic tracery set within square 'classical' panels. There are complete box pews. The stained glass is by Mayer & Co Ltd of Munich and London; in the east window 1874, north aisle east window 1895, and in the second window from the east on the south side. The south east upper window was made in 1922 by C E Kempe. (1)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 82169.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0218 9723 (30m by 17m)
TINTWISTLE, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 21 2020 12:05PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.