Monument record MDR12219 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (site of), Bank Street, Hadfield, Glossop
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1877 AD to 1878 AD)
- None recorded
There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at this site on the 1st edition 25" OS map. (1) This chapel was formerly a grade II listed building, but it was de-listed on 16/12/2008, presumably just preceding or following its demolition. It was built in 1877-78 and altered in 1926. It was built of coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings, with a Welsh slate roof and coped gabled. It had an irregular polygonal plan. The interior had the original furnishings, including benches with painted numbers to the ends, a raised pulpit and organ dating to 1906, and a pedestal font dating to 1918 that was enclosed by a wooden rail on cast-iron supports. There were stencilled texts over three tall niches between the doorways to the offices at the rear. It had a flat, ceiled roof, with ties supported on cast-iron brackets. (2) Work on the new and imposing Sunday School and Chapel at Bank Top commenced in 1877. The new chapel was opened on October 16th 1878 and had seating for 600 people. There was a Wesleyan Methodist Day School here also, until 1906 when it became a Council School. The chapel building was destroyed by fire recently and has since been demolished . (3) The site now appears to have been redeveloped . (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 484656.
- <3> SDR20897 *Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 22/02/2010.
- <4> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Web site viewed 19/03/2010.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0202 9621 (61m by 46m)|
|Civil Parish||GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2017 4:50PM