Skip to main content

Building record MDR12220 - Carmel Church, Station Road, Hadfield, Glossop

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A Free United Methodist Chapel is situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (1) The foundation stone for this Free Methodist Chapel was laid in October 1876. The opening service was held in May 1877. A Sunday School was started, but this was never large enough to warrant a separate building. Within a short period of time, extensions almost doubled the size from the original twelve pews. Before World War Two, congregations had declined and a period of mass employment hit the area. War provided further difficulties and the Sunday School was stopped. In 1942 Hadfield Free Methodist Chapel was closed for good. The chapel was proud of the fact that it had never been in debt. The building is still in use today as Carmel Pentecostal Chapel [2010]. (2) The building appears to have had a large extension, as shown on modern OS mapping. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> *Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. Web page last updated 22/02/2010.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 19/03/2010.



Grid reference Centred SK 0221 9620 (25m by 20m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Sep 7 2016 4:27PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.