This building is named as a Methodist Chapel (New Connexion) on the 1st edition 25" OS map. (1)
It has doubled in size by the 2nd edition OS map, with the addition of an associated school. (2)
The Zion Methodists were an offshoot from Spring Street, Hollingsworth, and began Sunday School activities in a large room over the Logwood Mill, Dinting Vale. The room could be used for all School purposes but not as a preaching place. Until the opening of the present Chapel, preaching services were held in cottages that were lent by friends. The laying of the foundation stone took place in August 1860. The Chapel was opened for Divine Worship in February 1861. In 1869 a large vestry was added to the Chapel, with a gallery over the top for an organ. Land for a School was secured in 1883, and it was finished by 1885. In 1888 a public elementary Day School was commenced. The Chapel is still in use today and the old School buildings area used as a Church Hall and Community Centre . (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated: 09/12/2009.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0222 9414 (43m by 39m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2022 2:47PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.