Building record MDR12231 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (site of), Hague Street, Whitfield

Type and Period (2)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

This building appears as a Wesleyan Methodist Church on the 1st edition OS map. (1) The original Chapel was opened in October 1813. In 1832 an associated Sunday School was built (see SMR 33308). It was later rebuilt in 1865 and again in 1885. The pulpit in this Chapel was said to have come from New Mills, where it was removed in 1809, given to the Whitfield Society in 1813, and then moved to this chapel when it was opened. In 1885, the old Chapel was demolished and the foundation stone for the new Chapel was laid in June the same year. The source is a bit unclear, bit it appears that the Chapel continued in use until 1931, at which time the Sunday School (SMR 33308) was enlarged to incorporate the Chapel congregation. (2) There is now a building named as 'Kohima' at this site on modern OS mapping [2010]. (3) It appears on Google Maps Street View as a modern bungalow [2010]. (4)

Sources/Archives (4)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> *Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. Web page last updated 09/12/2009.
  • <3> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 01/04/2010.
  • <4> *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. Web site viewed 22/04/2010.



Grid reference Centred SK 0362 9308 (19m by 18m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Mar 17 2015 2:52PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.