This building appears as a United Methodist Free Chapel on the 1st edition 25" OS map. (1)
Ebenezer Chapel was built in 1854 as a place of worship for a Society of Wesleyan Reformers. The centre pews were added shortly after opening and later a gallery was added. In 1879 a boiler was installed and two vestries were constructed. The Sunday School was built in 1899. The Chapel was closed and later the building was used for Glossop Whitfield Youth Centre meetings, which opened in April 1964. (2)
It is named as 'Whitfield Centre' on modern OS mapping . (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 09/12/2009.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 01/04/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0354 9342 (33m by 29m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 17 2015 2:52PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.