This church is named as a Congregational Chapel on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
In 1858, 14 people banded together to form a Church. Membership increased rapidly, probably due to the strong evangelistic nature of the work. Services were then held in the Temperance Hall, which was later used as a Labour Club. The Church was erected in 1868-9. The foundation stone for a Sunday School was laid in 1875. The Church is still in use today . (2)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 24/10/2009.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0317 9381 (20m by 22m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 15 2017 3:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.