This Roman Catholic Church was built in 1882-87. It is built of coursed millstone grit with ashlar dressings, and has Welsh slate roofs with coped gables and cross finials. It was built in Gothic Revival style. The church has a nave with aisles, a bell tower, a west baptistery, a south-west porch and an apsidal east end. The prominent polygonal bell tower to the south-east corner of nave is supported by massive buttresses with outsize set-offs. Inside, there is a scissor braced roof, with arched braces, and aisles with stone transverse strainer arches. There are panelled doors to the confessional and presbytery under hoodmoulds. The chancel has stone parcloses of five open bays, with trefoil headed arches surmounted by angels. The sanctuary is marked by a sentry arch on corbelled double shafts. Fittings include a low chancel screen wall. The decorated iron screen to the western baptistery projects into the nave. There is also an octagonal stone font, and an altar with the last supper etc in relief. The stained glass to the apse has scenes from the life of Mary. (1)
This Church was erected in 1882 and was designed by A R Dempster of Birmingham. The architecture is in Early English style, with a chancel, nave and north and south aisles. The nave is separated from the aisles on each side by eight hand crafted stone pillars. The sanctuary is a pentagonal apse, and on each side is a small chapel separated from the sanctuary by a carve stone screen surmounted by angels. The high alter is a piece of sculpture in Caen stone, the centre piece being The Last Supper, on either side the Crucifixion and Burial of our Saviour. Behind the altar is the Reredos sculpture in Caen stone of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary into heaven supported by angles. On either side Moses and the serpent and the Israelites being fed manna in the desert. A small altar in the south aisle is dedicated to St Charles. The Church is still in use today . (2)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 484733.
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 06/12/2009.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0301 9385 (43m by 56m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 15 2017 3:51PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.