There is a Unitarian Chapel marked here on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
A two-storied church was opened at this site in 1875. It was decided to build a new church in 1890, and the old one was demolished. The foundation stone for the new Church was laid on 27th April 1895. The church was designed by Mr J Lindley-Hyde and constructed by S Robinson & Son of Hyde. It has seating for nearly 400 people. A five-light stained glass window at the east end of the Church by Swaine, Bourne & Son was given by Captain Partington. A carved oak lectern in the shape of an eagle was given by Mrs Isaac Jackson. The interior decoration of the Church was cream colour with mouldings over windows and arches, and the chancel walls and organ chamber were in a light rose colour. A Norman Beard organ was installed in December 1910, and in June 1925 Mrs Herbert Partington presented a carved oak reredos to the Church in memory of her husband. The building is still in situ , although it is now a private residence. (2)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated: 24/10/2009.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0345 9440 (26m by 21m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 9 2016 12:24PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.