The Roman Catholic Church was built in 1836 by M E Hadfield and T G Weightman, for the 12th Duke of Norfolk. It is built of millstone grit ashlar and has a Welsh slate roof, with deeply overhanging eaves that form pedimented gables. It was built in Neo-classical style. It has a nave and apsidal sanctuary set within a rectangular plan, with vestries to the rear over a basement. The entrance front has a rusticated ashlar façade, with four giant Tuscan Doric pilasters, and a central doorway with six-panel double doors and an overlight, in a moulded ashlar surround with a bracketed hood. Inside, the nave has a coved plaster ceiling and gallery, with an open balustrade supported by large console brackets and reached from steps in the internal porch. The sanctuary has an elliptical arch, flanked by doors to the vestries, and has a coved plaster ceiling. Furnishings include open-backed nave benches and more elaborate choir stalls with later sanctuary rails. There is a good set of early 20th century stained glass windows, with central figures of saints and martyrs in complex Renaissance surrounds. (1)
All Saints' was built in 1836 as the first Catholic Church in the area. (2)
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 484660.
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 06/12/2009.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0383 9483 (29m by 19m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 29 2020 11:12AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.