This school was built in 1852 on grounds owned by Samuel Shepley. It was associated with the Congregational Chapel at Brookfield (see SMR 6199 for more details), which at the time rented a Chapel at Mottram for services. The school was part of the buildings of Old Brookfield Mill, which had been demolished some years previously. A library was added to the school in 1856, and in 1858 the building was enlarged. The adjacent Congregational Chapel was built in 1883-4. In 1967, it was decided to sell the adjacent Chapel building and convert part of the adjacent schoolroom into a Chapel. The Chapel was sold in 1971, and the newly converted Chapel was opened and dedicated in 1972. Soon after opening it was to become part of the greater United Reform Church, which was formed by the union of the Congregational and Presbyterian Churches. The Brookfield Chapel (by now United Reform) was closed in June 1981 due to a largely decreasing congregation. It is now used as an Antiques Centre . (1)
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 24/10/2009.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0119 9522 (32m by 30m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2017 4:50PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.