Skip to main content

Monument record MDR12268 - Wesley Chapel (site of), High Street West, Glossop

Type and Period (3)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The first preaching's associated with Wesley Chapel were at a cottage at Wren's Nest. When the Old Shepley Mill had ceased working, the bottom room was converted into a preaching room and Sunday School. The first Wesley Chapel was situated at the old mill bottom. The foundation stone was laid in 1844, and the architect was Joel Buxton. The Chapel was large enough to accommodate 500 worshippers and had a small school room behind it that was used as a Sunday School. Soon this Chapel was too small, and a new and larger Chapel was built on the same site in 1858-9. The architect was Rev. Benjamin Frankland, and it was large enough for 1500 people. In 1912, a magnificent organ was installed, upon which famous executants have performed from time to time. The Chapel closed in August 1960 when there was a reorganisation of Methodist Chapels, and the congregation transferred to Central Methodist Church, Chapel Street. (1) The building now appears to have been demolished and the site redeveloped [2010]. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> *Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. Web page last updated 09/12/2009.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 23/04/2010.



Grid reference Centred SK 0318 9404 (20m by 45m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 15 2017 3:51PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.