The first Chapel, with only 12 pews was built in 1828 for £265 and was later replaced by the present building. The Chapel and Sunday School were built as a branch of the Tintwistle Independent Chapel and Sunday School. The organisers and subscribers were chiefly members of the Tintwistle Independent Chapel who resided in the village of Padfield. The present building is very different to the original one. At a Trustees meeting in 1901 it was decided to adopt a plan of proposed extension and alterations, consisting of the addition of a vestry each side of the building and a porch plus a vestry with a cellar at the lower side of the building, and a polished wooden ceiling. The Chapel was re-opened in March 1901. (1)
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0302 9617 (19m by 17m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 18 2016 2:54PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.