The foundation stone for the Church of the Immaculate Conception was laid in June 1895 on land given by Lord Howard. The opening took place in August 1896. The church is situated at the foot of a hill on the southeast side of the railway bridge, and stands in its own grounds. The church itself is a pretty structure of an early English design with parpoint facings and has been substantially built. Mr Oswald Hill of Manchester was the architect. The altar of Caen stone with marble pillars, the figures in relief and decorative work show great artistic skill. This and the two side altars, also of Caen stone were supplied by Messrs. Bolton of Cheltenham. The windows are of stained glass by Messrs. Edmonson of Manchester. The Church at Broadbottom was served from St Charles until the 1950's when it was decided that it should be transferred to the care of St Mary's, Glossop. However in 1971 the areas of Broadbottom and Gamesley became a separate Parish. The Church is still used today and is once again served by St Charles, Hadfield . (1)
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 06/12/2009.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SJ 9975 9360 (20m by 28m)
CHARLESWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 13 2015 9:08AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.