The earliest record of a Methodist service in Chisworth was one conducted by Mrs Potter 'in a large room in the factory at Kinder Lee' in October 1819. The chapel was opened in 1833, before the windows or pews had been installed and before the walls had been plastered. The official opening is recorded as being in October 1835. This building was continued in use until its closing service in March 1890. It had been the intention of the Trustees to renovate the old chapel by elevating the roof, putting in new windows, and repairing the interior. However, when taking off the roof, the walls were found to be in such bad condition as to necessitate the pulling down of the entire structure and rebuilding from the foundations. The foundation stones for this new chapel were laid in May 1890, and it was opened later that year. This present chapel has a seating capacity for 280 people. The chapel also has an associated day school, which was enhanced greatly by the building of a new infant's school, which was opened in September 1911. (1)
This chapel still appears to be in use from modern OS mapping . (2)
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 22/02/2010.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 29/04/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SJ 9988 9218 (18m by 21m)
CHISWORTH, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 29 2010 10:26AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.