There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Ashopton, rebuilt in 1896 and seating 170 persons. The old chapel adjoining, built in 1840, is now used as a Sunday School. (1)
Ashopton was lost along with the neighbouring Derwent when the Ladybower Reservoir was constructed in the late 1930s and early 1940s. The Methodist Chapel at Ashopton was built in 1840. The final service was held in September 1939. The chapel was finally demolished, along with the remaining buildings in the village, in 1943. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Kelly, A L (ed.). 1912. Kelly's Directory of Derbyshire. p 236.
*Internet Web Site: Wikipedia - free online encyclopedia. en.wikipedia.org. Site visited 29/04/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1949 8630 (26m by 26m)
DERWENT, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 8 2011 3:33PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.