The Catholic chapel, built by the Duke of Norfolk K G in 1877 and dedicated to St Henry, is an edifice in the Early English style, and will seat 90. (1)
The chapel was submerged, along with the rest of the village, with the construction of the Ladybower Reservoir in the late 1930s and early 1940s. All the buildings in the village had been demolished by autumn 1943, and the waters of the reservoir began to rise by the end of 1944. The site of the village is periodically revealed during times of drought. (2)
Bibliographic reference: 1891. Kelly's Directory of the Counties of Derby, Notts, Leicester and Rutland. pp 182-3.
*Internet Web Site: Wikipedia - free online encyclopedia. en.wikipedia.org. Visited 29/04/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1829 8860 (32m by 28m)
DERWENT, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 3 2015 4:55PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.