Monument record MDR12293 - Wesleyan Methodist Chapel (site of), St George's Road, New Mills
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN METHODIST CHAPEL (Georgian - 1813 AD to 1813 AD)
- None recorded
There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel and burial ground marked here on the 1st edition OS map. (1) The Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on St George's Road was erected in 1813. It is a good stone building, seated on an eminence and approached by a flight of 24 steps. A gallery is carried round three sides, which increases the seating capacity to 340. The chapel is provided with an excellent organ, built by Hardy of Manchester. Adjoining the chapel is a small cemetery. There is a large day school in connection with the chapel that is situated on High Street. (2) The chapel appears to have since been demolished, but the site remains undeveloped within the burial ground . (3)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 196-7.
- <3> SDR20816 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 30/04/2010.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0023 8582 (29m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||NEW MILLS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 30 2010 12:46PM