The Catholic Church at New Mills, which is dedicated to St Mary, occupies a commanding situation in High Lee. It is a handsome edifice of stone built in the Decorative Gothic style. It was erected in 1845-6, and comprises a sanctuary with a chapel on either side, nave, north and south aisles, south porch, and western tower surmounted by a spire. The interior aspect is solemn and impressive. The arcade on either side of the nave rests on low, massive, octagonal columns; and the noble chancel arch springs from similar responds. The east window is a three-light one, filled with stained glass representing scenes from sacred history. Beneath this is the high altar, a very fine one of alabaster and stone. Statues of various saints adorn the walls, as well as a very fine set of stations of the Cross, in high relief and richly coloured, against a background of gold. In connection with the church is a day school, which is attended by about 80 children. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 197.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SJ 9978 8549 (30m by 28m)
NEW MILLS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 30 2010 3:04PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.