Building record MDR12299 - Providence United Reformed Church, Mellor Road, New Mills
Type and Period (1)
- CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL (Georgian - 1823 AD to 1823 AD)
- None recorded
The Congregational Church, in Chapel Street, is a substantial building of cut stone that was built in 1823. It has a Sunday school and classrooms in the basement. A gallery surrounds it on three sides. The interior is furnished with open pews of pitchpine to seat 500. (1) Looking at 2nd and 3rd edition OS maps, it appears that Providence Chapel was extended between 1896 and 1921. (2-3)
- <1> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 197.
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0025 8621 (45m by 38m)|
|Civil Parish||NEW MILLS, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 7 2010 2:04PM