Skip to main content

Monument record MDR12310 - Methodist Chapel (site of), Station Road, Hayfield

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

A Primitive Methodist Chapel appears here on the 1st edition OS map. (1) However, this is likely to be incorrect, as the Primitive Methodist Chapel at Hayfield is described as being the present library on what is now Kinder Road (see SMR 7569 for more details). Instead, this chapel is likely to be the Free Church Methodist Bethel described below. (2) The Free Church Methodist Bethel was rebuilt in 1866, on the site of a former chapel, at an expense of upwards of £1,000. There are two storeys - chapel above and school below - with sitting accommodation for 400. The interior is neatly furnished in pitchpine. An organ was added in 1874 as a cost of £200. (3) The creation of Sunday Schools sowed the seeds for division in the Methodist church. It became a substantial movement, and when it started to teach reading and writing it came in to conflict with the general movement, who saw it as daring to educate the working class. The Wesley Conference in 1836 said that the teaching had to stop, and the result was a breakaway group that built the Bethel Chapel. The Religious Census of 1851 showed that Hayfield had the best attendances of any place in northwest England. The three chapels (see also SMR 7569 and 7566) continued until 1932 when Methodists became reunited, although still continuing to use their own chapels. Bethel Chapel closed in 1956 and was later demolished when the bypass was built. (4) Bethel Methodist Church was founded in 1836, and a dedicated church was built on Walk Mill in 1867. The church was founded largely to provide Sunday School facilities. It was deconsecrated in 1956. (5) The chapel appears to have since been demolished, and the site redeveloped with housing and a bypass [2010]. (6)

Sources/Archives (6)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
  • <2> Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
  • <3> Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 183.
  • <4> *Internet Web Site: Rose, A. 1998. 'Methodism in Hayfield', in New Mills Local History Society Newsletter, edition 22. Visited 12/05/2010.
  • <5> *Internet Web Site: Wikipedia - free online encyclopedia. Page last updated 01/05/2010.
  • <6> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 12/05/2010.



Grid reference Centred SK 0361 8697 (16m by 20m)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

May 12 2010 2:51PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.