Building record MDR12312 - Former Methodist Chapel, Kinder Road, Hayfield
Type and Period (1)
- PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (Victorian - 1867 AD to 1867 AD)
- None recorded
A chapel appears here on the 1st edition OS map. (1) The Primitive Methodist Chapel is a good stone building flanked by buttresses, erected in 1867 at a cost of about £500, including the adjoining class room. There is accommodation for about 400. (2) The Primitive Methodists at Hayfield were a break-away group that formed in about the 1820s. There first chapel was at Little Hayfield, near Clough Mill, which is now a house (see SMR 7570). Then another chapel was built on Kinder Road in Hayfield, which is the present library . This chapel was later called the High Bourne chapel and was closed in 1969. (3) A Primitive Methodist Chapel was built on Jumble Lane (now Kinder Road) in 1867 and deconsecrated in 1969, its congregation merging in to St John's (see SMR 7566). The building now houses Hayfield Library . (4) It appears that the Primitive Methodist Chapel at Hayfield was actually situated here and not at SMR 7567, as indicated by the 1st edition OS map. (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 183.
- <3> SDR20939 *Internet Web Site: Rose, A. 1998. 'Methodism in Hayfield', in New Mills Local History Society Newsletter, edition 22. http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~bmdent/nl22.pdf. Visited 12/05/2010.
- <4> SDR20570 *Internet Web Site: Wikipedia - free online encyclopedia. en.wikipedia.org. Page last updated 01/05/2010.
- <5> SDR20769 Personal Observation: Manning, N. Personal observation, map evidence, field visit etc..
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0385 8696 (19m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||HAYFIELD, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 29 2015 8:48AM