This stone roadside shelter, now used as a bus shelter, was originally erected in 1874 by Mrs Caroline Broadhurst as a memorial to her husband John Broadhurst of Foston Hall who died that year. It bears the initials 'JB' and the date '1874' above the entrance. Originally for use by the many foot travellers passing through the village, it has a stone-covered pump on the rear wall with a wrought iron handle and a metal cup attached to the pump by a metal chain, as well as an open trough behind the wall in the field, so that when someone pumped water into the cup, water also filled up the trough for cows or horses. The upper half of three sides of the shelter were open and there was a bench along two walls that travellers could rest on, or even sleep overnight if necessary. In front of the pump was a small low-sided trough into which water could be pumped so that tired travellers could wash or cool aching feet. Since around the 1960s the shelter has served as a bus stop shelter, with the pump, trough and original benches removed, the window spaces filled in with stone blocks and one bench placed along the rear wall. Despite these changes, this is an unusual, if not unique building that is still serving the community as it did when it was first erected. (1)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 19.1, with photo.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1893 3183 (3m by 3m)
FOSTON AND SCROPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 26 2014 2:41PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.