For the convenience of the inhabitants of Bugsworth, a chapel was erected in 1874 and dedicated to St James. It is a handsome edifice, in the Gothic style, capable of seating 280 persons, and consists of chancel, nave, porch, and belfry, which contains one bell. The three windows in the east end are filled with stained glass. (1)
This church was built in c.1874 by the architect J Lowe. It is built of gritstone rubble with quoins, and has ashlar gritstone dressings. It has a slate roof, with fish-scale banding and a terracotta ridge. It also has stone coped gables with kneelers, and a coped bellcote to the west. It is a single-cell building, with a polygonal apse to the east. There are north and south vestries, acting as transepts externally. To the west is a glazed wooden, gabled porch, with cusped decoration and cusped windows to the sides. Inside are contemporary pews, font and other fittings. It has a scissor truss roof. The central south window has abstract stained glass designed in 1962 by T Cocke. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 115.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 82068.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0215 8216 (23m by 20m)
CHINLEY, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 2 2010 10:37AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.