There is a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map of c. 1880. (1)
Chinley Chapel stands to the north of New Smithy. (2)
This chapel was built in 1809 from rendered stone. It has gritstone dressings, a slate roof, and a side wall stack. It is of three bays. The south elevation has a central doorway with plank double doors. There is a further door to the west. Above are three semi-circular headed small pane sashes. Inside, there are raised and fielded panelled galleries supported by fluted iron columns to east, west and south. There is also a panelled octagonal pulpit with stairs to the north. Over, is a semi-circular long window with stained glass. There are box pews on the ground floor. (3)
It is now known as White Knowle Methodist Chapel . (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(b).1, with photos.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 82062.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 02/06/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0514 8284 (15m by 12m)
CHINLEY, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 23 2011 5:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.