During excavations in the grounds of Staveley Hall in 2005 and 2006, a substantial V-shaped ditch was encountered in several trenches, running along the southern boundary of the site, close to the modern churchyard boundary. This feature may well turn northwards to the west of the hall. The ditch is roughly 2m wide and almost 1m deep in places. It is fairly clear that this feature had no drainage purpose, and it must therefore have served as a boundary, perhaps between the church and a medieval pre-cursor of the hall. If the interpretation of it turning behind the hall is correct, it may even have run all the way around the site. Two other trenches to the east of the hall produced evidence of a ditch which could have formed part of this boundary. Although its profile was slighter, it lay within the truncated building footprint of the later hall and would originally have been considerably more substantial. Pottery from the fills of the large ditch suggests that backfilling occurred in the period between 1250 and 1450. (1)
Unpublished document: Baker, S (ARCUS). 2007. Community Archaeology at Staveley Hall, Derbyshire: 2006 Season. p 49.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4338 7487 (64m by 20m)
STAVELEY, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 15 2020 8:45AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.