Monument record MDR12358 - Press Mill and mill pond (site of), Ashover
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
The corn mill is not marked on Sanderson's map of 1835 (1); however, it is shown on the Ordnance Survey 1st edition 1" map published in 1840, where it is named 'Press Mill'. (2) The Derby Mercury records an incident at the mill in 1841 as follows: "On Monday night week, Mr Thomas Young's mill at Prass [sic], in the parish of Ashover, was feloniously entered, and a quantity of flour stolen therefrom. The thieves had tried several bags, but found none dressed to their mind; and what they stole they dressed through a fine sieve and left the bran". (3) Both the 1st and 2nd edition 25" OS maps show 'Press Mill (Corn)', with the mill pond to the north, although the pond is depicted as somewhat silted up on the 1st edition. (4, 5). However, the third edition suggests the mill pond may have gone and does not name the mill, showing the site as 'Millhouse Farm'. (6)
- <1> SDR18634 Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
- <2> SDR19430 Map: David & Charles edition, Sheet 28. 1840. OS 1" map, Chesterfield. Surveyed 1837-1839, with later revisions.. 1" to the mile.
- <3> SDR20952 Bibliographic reference: 1841. 'Flour-mill robbery', Derby Mercury, October 6.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <6> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3703 6438 (49m by 74m)|
|Civil Parish||ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Feb 21 2017 10:09AM