Monument record MDR1236 - Roman Road, Monyash
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
That section of the Roman Road from Buxton (AQUAE ARNEMETAE) to Derby (DERVENTIO) that lies within the parish. (1). Section of Roman Road which runs from Buxton to Derby/Littlechester and known as 'The Street', first documented in 1415 AD and identified on the ground in 1789 (3). Photographic record. (4,5). SK 1334 6585: Well preserved causeway. (1). SK 13606556: Intermittent but clear evidence of short lengths of agger particularly where it passes beneath the wall. (1) Sk 1402 6510: Short length of agger. (1) SK 141 650: Short lengths of agger. (1) SK 1438 6470: Faint traces of agger. (1) SK 1449 6460: Slight agger. (1) SK 1468 6441: Continuous stoney agger. (1)
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 3165, 3166, 3168-3173.
- <2> SDR12576 Article in serial: Kirkham, N. 1975. 'The Perambulation of Hartington', Peak Archaeology Society. Part II . No. 29.
- <3> SDR5057 Bibliographic reference: Dodd, A & Dodd, E. 1980. Peakland Roads and Trackways.
- <4> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 6880.1-4.
- <5> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 498.31-35.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1403 6508 (2154m by 2369m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||MONYASH, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 19 2007 3:17PM