In 1830 the Dakeynes, owners of Lady Grove Mill, applied for a patent for a new 'hydraulic engine' or disc engine, to use high pressure water to run their flax mill, which had been extended in 1826, so that the water supply to the existing cotton mill would remain unaffected. This involved the construction of an engine house, requiring the levelling of the hillside. The engine house is shown on the 1839 Tithe Map, as is the high pressure pipe leading down to it from the pond on the hillside above [HER 9859] and the launder carrying the water across from the engine house to the main wheels. The drive from the engine house must have presented problems, not only because of its inordinate length but also because the mill was appreciably lower than the disc engine. The engine house was still standing in the early 20th century, although it had long gone out of use, but has since been demolished. (1)
*Internet Web Site: Wigfull, P. 2010. The Romping Lion- The Story of the Dakeyne Disc Engine. dakeynediscengine.org.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2859 6282 (52m by 179m)
DARLEY DALE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 4 2015 4:20PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.