St James' Church is situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
St James' Church is a handsome Gothic structure of limestone, erected at a cost of £5,000. It consists of chancel, two small transepts, nave, with side aisles, and an hexagonal tower and spire rising from the intersection of the nave and chancel. A lofty pointed arch, crossed by a screen, separated the chancel from the nave, and a similar arch divides the sacrarium from the choir. The windows of the chancel, three in number, are of two lights each, and filled with stained glass. The aisles are three bays in length, the arches springing from pillars of polished marble, and in each wall are seven single lancet lights. The pulpit is a handsome one of stone, richly sculptured, with circular pillars of variegated marble. The font, large and goblet-shaped, is inscribed: 'A gift from the children to St James' Church, Buxton, Christmas, 1893'. The church is a chapel-of-ease to St John's. (2)
St John's Church appears to have since been demolished and replaced with another building, which is now used as Buxton Health Centre . (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 125.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series. 09/06/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0560 7301 (44m by 37m)
BUXTON, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 10:54AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.