Building record MDR12378 - Former Sunday School, Whitfield Avenue, Whitfield
Type and Period (1)
(Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1850 AD to 1931 AD)
Loading documents & images
There is a Sunday School situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
It appears to have been enlarged by the 2nd edition OS map. (2)
A Wesleyan Methodist Chapel was built on Hague Street in 1813 (see SMR 6181). The source is a bit unclear, but it appears that this Sunday School was the one associated with this Chapel. It was built in 1832 at some distance from the Chapel and later rebuilt in 1865. In 1885 a new school was built that was claimed to be one of the best in the district. The old Chapel (SMR 6181) continued in use until 1931, when the Sunday School was enlarged and reconstructed to incorporate the Chapel congregation. This Chapel closed in 1968. (3)
This building is now named as a Hall on modern OS mapping. (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
*Internet Web Site: Glossop Heritage Trust. Glossopdale Churches and Chapels. http://www.glossopheritage.co.uk/. Web page last updated 09/12/2009.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). Current Mastermap and 1:10000 series.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 0365 9325 (23m by 20m)
GLOSSOP, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 22 2021 11:06AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.