This church is named 'St Saviour's Church' on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
A church and attached school that was built in 1872-3 by H Cockbain of Middleton. It is built of coursed rock-faced limestone with gritstone dressings. It has Welsh slate roofs, coped gables with moulded kneelers, and a twin gabled bellcote at the junction of the church and the school. The building has a T-shaped plan, and is of a single storey. The church has been built in a mixture of Gothic styles. The building has a plain interior with a simple Tudor style wooden screen at the west end. A stone pulpit is corbelled out of the wall, with the staircase built into the wall and accommodated in a polygonal projection. There is a communion rail with cusped ogees, and a blind arcade along the north wall. (2)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 80996.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1814 7475 (17m by 19m)
WARDLOW, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 11 2016 10:42AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.