Building record MDR12385 - Wesleyan Reform Methodist Chapel, The Causeway, Eyam
Type and Period (1)
- WESLEYAN REFORM UNION CHAPEL (Georgian to Victorian - 1800 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
There is a Wesleyan Reform Methodist Chapel situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (1) The members of the Wesleyan Reform Union have a chapel at Eyam. It is a neat stone structure, capable of seating 250. (2) The Wesleyan Reform Chapel at Eyam is a simple rectangular building constructed from coursed squared sandstone with stone coped gables and a slate roof. It is recorded locally as being built in 1787, although an inventory compiled in 1817 gives the date of construction as 1781. Of the 65 chapels recorded in Derbyshire at that time, only the Eyam chapel and one at Crich survive. The chapel at Eyam remained in use until October 2008 when services ceased. (3)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR3507 Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 377.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1396415.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2215 7642 (12m by 11m)|
|Civil Parish||EYAM, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 18 2013 11:29AM