A chapel is situated here on the 1st edition OS map. (1)
The Wesleyan Reform Chapel at Stoney Middleton is a small plain building. (2)
This chapel was built in 1826. It is built of coursed limestone rubble, with gritstone dressings and chamfered quotas. It has a slate roof, and a stone bellcote to the east gable. It is of three bays. There is a central semi-circular headed doorcase, which has a stepped architrave, raised double keystone and imposts. It has a panelled door. There is a plain fanlight over. To either side are early 20th century windows with stained glass, in raised plain surrounds. Above, are two similar windows. There is a central semi-circular headed window with raised keystone above the door. There is a 20th century addition to the west. (3)
Looking at Google Maps Street View, the grid reference provided with the listed building description is slightly wrong. It appears that the chapel may still be in use . (4)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p 460.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. Ref: 80708.
*Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Web site viewed 23/06/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 2298 7552 (11m by 9m)
STONEY MIDDLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 7 2010 10:43AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.