Monument record MDR12389 - Elvaston Nurseries (site of), Borrowash, Ockbrook
Type and Period (1)
- NURSERY GARDEN (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
William Barron became the head gardener at Elvaston Castle in 1830. From the early 1850s he increasingly undertook landscaping projects across the country, and also rented the Elvaston tree nursery as a business. In 1862, much of the Elvaston nursery stock was moved across the Derwent to Borrowash. In 1865 Barron formally retired from Elvaston and, with his son (also called William), concentrated on the Borrowash business. The business was a great success, even after the death of William in 1891. Landscaping comissions ranged from local projects at Broomfield Hall (Morley), Risley Hall, Locko Park and Matlock Bath Pavillion, to as far afield as the city park in Tunis. The nursery alsio expanded to become what was believed to be the biggest in the country, taking in land near Draycott and Hopwell. At its height, Barrons grew 150,000 roses a year (at Shacklecross) and had an unrivalled stock of conifers (at Hopwell). The landscaped pools, fountains and borders around the offices were a major tourist attraction. After the First World War the business became a limited company and increasing amounts of nursery land were p[rofitably sold off for housing. Barrons went into terminal decline after the Second World War and eventually closed in 1959. Only a few signs, such as several large trees, are left of the nursery today.
- <1> SDR20967 Bibliographic reference: Friends of Erewash Museum. 2001. 'Erewash heroes - William Barron', The Heritage Herald. Issue 5, pp 6-7.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 4185 3429 (491m by 522m)|
|Civil Parish||OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2015 11:00AM