The 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880 shows a burial ground about 130m to the east of the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel on Chapel Row, Borrowash. (1)
On 27 August 1867 land was purchased for the interment of the dead by the inhabitants of Borrowash. All but one of the fifteen trustees were to be members of the Borrowash Wesleyan Chapel and the other from the Primitive Chapel. The first burial was on 15 March 1868; the last was on 3 August 1948. By 1970 there were no living trustees. In April 1979 the Charity Commissioners appointed Ockbrook Parish Council [sic] to be trustees of the charity. (2)
William Barron, who had been head gardener at Elvaston Castle, was buried in 1891 in the old burial ground (now off Nursery Close). In recent years his grave in this difficult-to-find burial site had been forgotten, until rediscovered and tidied up by members of the Ockbrook and Borrowash Historical Society in 2000. (3)
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Bibliographic reference: Barker, M et al. 1999. 100 Years and More: The Story of the Methodists in Borrowash and Ockbrook. p 34.
Bibliographic reference: Friends of Erewash Museum. 2001. 'Erewash heroes - William Barron', The Heritage Herald. Issue 5, pp 6-7.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 4190 3452 (53m by 45m)
OCKBROOK, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 8 2015 11:00AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.