Marsh Green is a well documented house built by Giles Cowley in 1648. The outline and windows are visible in the west wall. It was refaced and enlarged in the 18th century and was the one-time residence of the Bournes and the Nodders, rectors of Ashover. Existing use is as a dwelling house with associated farm buildings. (1)
Marsh Green Hall is a very austere house, almost devoid of ornament, dating in its present form from just before c. 1800, although the Bournes were seated at Marsh Green for upwards of a century before. It has two and a half storeys, a hipped roof with a five bay façade, the fenestration, oddly, being casemented rather than sashed, although this may well be the result of a later development. The builder of the present house was John Nodder of Sheffield, heir of the Bournes, who died in 1809, leaving it to his second son who, by virtue of his father's patronage of the living, was rector of Ashover. The estate had originally been part of the New Hall manor at Ashover, purchased by the Bournes in 1623. Marsh Green itself was sold to Giles Cowley who had it in 1648, but it came from him to the Bournes by marriage. (2)
Altered vernacular building of 1648. (3)
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(g).34.
Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. p 289.
Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3429 6376 (79m by 38m)
ASHOVER, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2017 4:43PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.