Monument record MDR1240 - Cotesfield, Roman Road
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
Metalled track, possibly a Roman road, found by Nellie Kirkham. Sectioned in 2 places. (1-2) The section of the supposed road from SK 1370 6500 - SK 13886476 lies in woodland owned by the PPJPB. The site was visited 2.5.1991 and it was established that the earthwork feature representing the road exists within the wood. At the north end it is terraced into the east facing slope, is c. 4m wide as a road and c. 6m wide in total. Near the centre of the wood, the road is c. 6m wide and slightly sunken. Towards the south, it is difficult to differentiate and is more heavily tree covered. The road line is visible for c. 20m to the north as a terraced feature in imporved land. (3) The road is still apparent just as a terrace and then as a slightly sunken route (heading south) in the north three-quarters of Cotesfield Wood (SK 1378 6485). It can still be seen for c. 50m in the field to the north, but has mostly been destroyed by agricultural improvement. The wood is owned by the PPJPB. Thinning, hauling and restocking will respect the road line. (4)
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1092; 4024.
- <2> SDR8336 Article in serial: Lomas, J. 1958. 'Problems of the Roman Road between Buxton and Little Chester', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 78. p103-9.
- <3> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 2.5.1991.
- <4> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 4.9.1991.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1370 6500 (10m by 10m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON MIDDLE QUARTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 19 2007 3:17PM