(Georgian to Victorian - 1790 AD to 1900 AD)
World Heritage Site
World Heritage Site Buffer Zone
Loading documents & images
The grounds of Darley House were landscaped with ornamental gardens and orchards, and there were private pathways and drives leading to the property. The main drive can be seen leading from the side of the shop at the top of Old Lane, which until recent years still had some of the original railings alongside it. There was also access from the gateway that today is to the left side of the toll bridge as one leaves the village. The narrow land called Spinney Close also originally led to Darley House and provided the family with easier access to the church. (1)
Darley House [SMR 32306] and grounds were created by the Evans family at the same time as the buildng of their cotton spinning mills [SMR 18955]. In 2007 members of the Darley Abbey Historical Group came across evidence of a part of the gardens in Nutwood, including the outline of terraces and the remains of a summerhouse 'The Temple' [see SMR 32660]. (2)
Bibliographic reference: Perry, E. 2002. Up Darley Down Darley, The 20th Century History of Darley Abbey Village.
Unpublished document: Derbyshire Historic Gardens. 2007-2010. Correspondence between Darley Abbey Historical Group, the Derbyshire Historic Gardens Trust and Derbyshire County Council.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3535 3880 (575m by 579m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
World Heritage Site
Derwent Valley Mills
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 31 2022 3:06PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.