Monument record MDR12408 - Stoneyford Colliery (site of), Langley Mill

Type and Period (1)

  • (Victorian - 1850 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880 names Stoneford Colliery, and depicts a number of buildings and a shaft, together with short sidings from the adjacent Midland Railway line. (1) The colliery is no longer shown on the 2nd edition of 1898. (2) The site is not shown on Sanderson's map of 1835, so the colliery had probably not been sunk at that time. (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLI.9.
  • <2> Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XLI.9, 1898.
  • <3> Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 4463 4913 (127m by 193m)
Civil Parish ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Jul 30 2010 3:16PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.